Fix-It Friday 4/1/22

I am one of the victims of Wyze Sense Hub 4.32.8.213. Despite several reports citing specific issues with that firmware, it sounds like Wyze is still having issues nailing down the issue and is asking for additional details, so I tried to really outline the specifics, with accompanying log submissions.

BLUF, ever since updating to this firmware, I have struggled to get new leak sensors to work with the hub. The sensors either refused to pair or … pair, but do not appear to function correctly. While putting this timeline together, I APPEAR to have gotten them to work through a specific sequence of events I’ll detail here.

As background, I have a Hub but do not have an active HMS subscription. I also do not have a keypad, just V1 contact sensors, V2 climate sensors, and V2 leak sensors.

Starting off, the Wyze Hub appears to be in a stable state. All 3 lights are solid. My objective is to pair (2) new leak sensors.

These events all took place today, on 4/2/2022, in the Eastern Time Zone (EST).

9:37am - Attempt to enter pairing mode from the app. The app shows ready to pair but the hub never announces pairing mode and the three lights remain solid. I attempt to pair both leak sensors by holding the reset button, neither pairs. I submit hub log #526455.

9:40am - I conduct a reset on the hub by disconnecting the AC power and holding down the reset button. The hub resets and then enters the strange “crackling state” which has been elsewhere described in this forum. This state appears to repeat the following pattern.

A. All 3 lights flash for approximately 20 seconds.
B. All 3 lights are solid and the hub is quiet for approximately 1 minute.
C. All 3 lights are solid but the hub’s speaker emits a “crackling” sound for 1 minute.
D. Return to A

9:50am - I attempt to enter pairing mode again via the app. I believe I attempted this during State C above. At this point, the hub announces it is in pairing mode. I try to pair both leak sensors and neither pair. I cancel pairing mode and submit hub log #526462.

9:54a - The hub remains in the same state as above, cycling from A-D. At this point, I wait for State B and again enter pairing mode. At this point, I am able to get one leak sensor to pair and submit hub log 526469 and leak sensor log 526465. I successfully repeat this process with the second leak sensor.

Shortly thereafter, I attempt to test both leak sensors and these tests are unsuccessful. At this point, the hub is still in the same state … cycling from A-D. Specifically, I dip the sensors in water; the red light on the sensor blinks signaling it has detected water, but the app never updates that a leak has occurred and I receive no notification that a leak was detected.

11:30am - At some point between ~10:00am and 11:30am, the hub has returned to a stable state, where it’s no longer cycling between A-D and all 3 lights are solid. I again test the leak sensors and both work; the app appropriately reports leak detected and I get notifications. Even though I didn’t need to pair any additional sensors at this point, I tried to enter pairing mode and the hub DID announce it was in pairing mode.

THIS IS DEFINITELY A PROBLEM THAT WYZE NEEDS TO INVESTIGATE (and they now have plenty of data/logs to look at), but if you’re having similar issues it appears this workaround may help:

• Reset your hub
  • When pairing new devices, wait for the hub to enter state B above OR (maybe) just wait for the hub to return to a stable state.
  • Do not try to test your new devices until the hub has returned to a stable state.
2 Likes