False motion light activations

Does anyone else’s floodlight get triggered super easily ? A spider web triggered the floodlight , not only that but also when it rains it’ll be getting triggered all night long .

My floodlight settings are : floodlights to turn on when motion is detected by the pir sensor , pir sensor range 45% and sensitivity to low .

I find it funny that the sensor can detect a spider web but doesn’t detect people when you walk right under it or walk past it countless times .

Wyze needs to fix the pir sensor , it definitely needs some software work done . I have a very unreliable floodlight that has been affecting me for the last 8 months , and I’m on my 2nd floodlight , I’m looking into getting a 3rd replacement soon . Ugh why am I cursed ://///

Have the same issues. Cams I put under anything or near a corner get webs. Moving them away from corners helped.
Yes, the cam is a great spider & web detector, and an occasional person detector :slightly_smiling_face:.
I noticed the ODC has a “detection distance” setting. That would be nice for other cams.

1 Like

I think the pro doorbell, WCO, and floodlight have that as they use PIR for detection

Pir detection for events is a setting that you can choose to toggle on but the camera records events when it’s been triggered by motion .

If wyze engineered the v3 just to detect events based on the pir sensor , that was not a good idea

I believe the camera in the flood light is different from the regular V3, but haven’t seen anything to confirm other than some incidental mentions in the forum. The “regular” V3 doesn’t have PIR. Only the outdoor cameras seem to have PIR sensors. However, the floodlight has one separate from the camera that integrated in some way to work with the camera and lights.

1 Like

That’s what I’m understanding . Wyze engineered the v3 that came mounted to the accessory with the PIR sensor . That was not a good idea , I prefer the floodlight and the camera to be separate not together

@Rulwiz
The camera is just a v3. There is a PIR sensor in the floodlight but the camera also has the same pixel differentiation method. If you look in the floodlight settings you will see a ‘Motion is detected by PIR sensor’ and there is a ‘Motion is detected by the camera’, you can have them both on or just one. I personally have both enabled.

2 Likes

Right , I see those settings and I have my v3 set to record events when theirs motion detected yet when i raise my motion detection sensitivity it’ll make my pir sensor really sensitive. No matter if I only have the floodlight to only turn on when motion is just detected by the pir sensor…

I have had the floodlight for 8 months and that’s how it’s worked for me , I even spoke to wyze and they told me that they floodlight v3 was engineered to the pir sensor .

Let me dig a little deeper on that, I could be wrong but I was under the impression it was just a normal v3. I will let you know what I find out.

1 Like

Thank you !

Any chance you could please also ask if that floodlight PIR sensor or a variant could be sold as a stand-alone add on sensor and plugged into the back of existing V3s? That would alleviate all/most of the “my V3 went off because of flashing headlights, waving shadows, tree beaches, etc.” that get triggered solely by the pixel differentiation algorithm.

1 Like

I think there is a #wishlist post for this, make sure to vote for it!

1 Like

I tried posting a new topic in the WishList and it was put under a similar request from 3 years ago that’s labeled as Maybe Later. To me that seems like “ain’t never gonna happen”. Was hoping that recent discussions might revive the idea.

For how many people that post that the they get false alerts from flashing lights, bugs, shadows, leaves etc, it sounds like Wyze would sell a lot of these stand-alone units as V3 accessories.

Cam Plus can only do so much. AI detection filtering takes time to be able to send out a notification and is better suited to look at events after they’ve happened. For people that want to know about motion from a person, animal or vehicle as it’s happening to be able to get to the Livestream or microphone, waiting for a notification from AI filtering out waving tree branches from actual persons or vehicles may be too long. PIR isn’t perfect, but comparing the amount of false notifications I get on my Wyze floodlight (hardly anything) versus my V3 (about 10-20 a day and night) tells me that the PIR sensors are good for something without sacrificing time waiting for a clip to be uploaded to the cloud, analyzed by AI and then a notification being generated.

Hey Jason , did you get an answer from Wyze on this ??

Not yet, let me poke at them again.

1 Like

Any update?

1 Like

So far all the answers I have are that it is just a normal v3 attached to a floodlight with a PIR sensor.

Right , that is known… what I’m wondering specifically is ; did Wyze engineer the v3 and the pir sensor together ?

That’s what I’m trying to figure out , because since I’ve had my floodlight for 8 months now .

My floodlight is set to only turn on when motion is detected by the pir sensor ONLY. Sensitivity to low

Yet when a bug is in frame and triggers the v3 and now more recently when a cars headlights reflect off my parked cars , the floodlights get triggered on

Which makes no sense

I’ve noticed that when I have the v3 motion detection sensitivity high , it makes the pir sensor sensitive . Giving me the conclusion that Wyze engineered the v3 and the pir sensor TOGETHER

Which from what I’ve experienced , is the casa but I may be over my head here…

1 Like

The way I am understanding they were not designed together, the floodlight is added as an accessory, meaning if you were to remove the v3 and put another one in its place it would work the same.

Correct , but any reason why my floodlight will get triggered by bugs and cars headlights that are reflecting off of my parked cars even when the floodlight has been set to only turn on when motion is detected by the pir sensor ?

2 Likes