Different Alert Sound for Wyze Notifications

Tasker is awesome, I’ve used it for many things over the years. For others who are looking for an easy notification only solution as a stopgap, there are other apps that are notification sound edits only, and require much less in-depth setup compared to Tasker.

Also just as another weird thing about Wyze notifications that is broken, the camera motion alerts show up successfully on wearables (smart watch) but the door and motion sensor alerts don’t. No idea how those settings are different, they’re both “app notifications” from the same app, but they are.

Again, frustrating when having the phone on mute but still caring about security.

1 Like

I’d love this, I went searing through the iPhone settings trying to make this happen but did not find it.

1 Like

sadly Iphones do not have the option.

1 Like

New member. Just purchased my first V2 Cam and have an order in for 5 more. Love it!

I have an iPhone Xr with the alert volume at max. It would be great to have user choice alert tones that I could actually hear. At the very least, there should be an option to have the standard Wyze ‘ding-a-ling’ repeat according to user preference - like 5 or 10 times with a shut off button.

These cams will be used for security and hearing a notification is mandatory.

Thanks!

(yes I voted)

4 Likes

I found a work around for my purposes.

Prerequisites:

1. Android devices
  2. You own multiple devices (an extra phone and/or tablet)

There is a feature in Wyze settings to share devices. Share the Wyze device(s) that you want a different notification for with an extra email address. Create an account with the extra email address. Use the previously mentioned methods to set the notification sound to something for the Wyze app to something different than your other Android device.

Downside: If you only have two devices, the notification will go off on both devices with a different sound. Workaround: If you have 3 Android devices, you can have a third email account to share your remaining Wyze devices with and only have your extra Android devices doing the notifications.

My use case:
All of my door sensors give an alarming notification on one phone. My motion sensor in my daughter’s room has a different notification to let me know she’s out of bed.

You do not have to do that at all on android version 8 or 9 to have A different Alert sound on Each Android device

You can have a different notification sound for all of your devices if you just use the same account. The goal is to have different notification sounds for individual Wyze devices. Sharing specific devices with other accounts will allow you to only hear that other notification on the Wyze device of your choice.

Gotcha :slightly_smiling_face:

So it’s now July 2, 2019 - how’s it looking to change the alert sounds?

Welcome to the community, @mark.skidmore. The status tag is still “maybe-later”. If it changes to “researching”, then we know Wyze is looking at possibly implementing it. If you are on a fairly current version of Android, you should be able to change it via the OS app settings.

1 Like

First, I’m very impressed with the Person Detection. Now that this is a technology within Wyze, I’m wondering if there can be an option where the phone truly acts as an security system versus a simple notification push? I would like my Wyze app to truly alert me, no matter what, if there is an intruder in my house my setting my phone alarm off. For example, there is an app called Ring, that overrides the phone settings and creates an extremely loud alarm so the user can find their phone even if it’s silenced. I would like to see Wyze use offer this concept, but only when the option is chosen. Example, I would use this option when I’m traveling or possibly when I’m sleeping. When I’m sleeping, I normally have my phone on “do not disturb”, so I don’t receive text notifications or other alerts. but I would like Wyze to be able to override this setting and alert me if I am sleeping. Not only do I want it to alert me, I want it to be loud so I wake up.

Thank you,

Ryan

usually when you use do not disturb apps you can “whitelist” apps that can notify you regardless of the DND. ( im speaking of android, i’m not sure how it works on IOS)

You can “whitelist” thapp on Android like @Bam suggests, Android will also let you change the notification sound as I have done that. iOS is a whole other game and I am not as knowledgeable in that as I do not use it daily

Thank you, however, this doesn’t solve the more important issue of the “Do Not Disturb” setting. I’m not being notified by the app when I have the phone set to DND. Sure, some people will say don’t set it to DND, but it’s not that simple with my job. I receive a lot of emails and calls throughout the night where I need the DND set. I should’ve been more specific that I’m using the IOS system. There is probably an annoying workaround that’s been mentioned below, but most people either aren’t technically savvy enough or won’t take the time and will choose another camera option. The “Ring” app automatically does this so I can only assume it would be simple for Wyze to add this as an option.

@wittryan80, I keep my phone on do-not-disturb at night as well and, as others have stated, I use “whitelist” to make sure I receive Wyze notifications. My version of Android (6.0.1) does not allow me to change the default Wyze notification sound, so I am using an app called “Tasker” to create custom notifications sounds (alarms) and I whitelist the Tasker app in my do-not-disturb settings. You should be able to whitelist the Ring app as well.

I’m not a fan of work arounds. Certainly a recommendation for Wyze as they expand their product line and are striving to be the best. This is certainly an important option within the App to compete with the larger security companies.

Great forum though. I will use “Tasker” for now. Very helpful.

I wonder how many users have stopped using Wyze because of this reason though? I’m pretty technologically savvy and the only reason I looked further into it is because I have three cameras already installed. I’m guessing a lot of people would simply move on.

1 Like

It would be complete home security solution if App provides option to ring smartphone with some high sound when person detected and say something called “Ringer” option enabled for that camera/sensor

1 Like

I’m guessing they don’t want to market the cameras as a “security system” because that could bring liability issues. However, they can still market it as a monitoring system and still offer the alert. It certainly would take this product to the next level.

so in researching it. it looks like this is another case of apple being apple. this is no fault of Wyze that apple will not allow per app spec for DND and unless you jailbreak your iphone I don’t see a way to allow the Wyze app to get through DND on IOS. I don’t know what ring does to “get around” the IOS DND so I con’t speak as to Wyze implementing it…but concerning all the things Apple does to control programmers and their apps, maybe its time to get away from IOS. if nothing else…planned obsolescence would be a reason to avoid apple.

this appears to be completely out of Wyze’s figurative hands for the most part.

2 Likes

I would like to have the option of choosing a distinctive notification for the cameras and possibly a choice for each camera

1 Like