Dad, can I go to the basketball game tonight?

No! Look how bad the roads are!!!

4 Likes

Get out the skates. :ice_skate: :ice_skate:

2 Likes

Yep, I’d have one showing my trip down the stairs except that, as usual, both my front door Wyzecams have nothing for it on their continuously recording SD cards.

2 Likes

Your problem should resolve itself between February 1 and February 15, unless you unplug all your cameras during this time. I say should because there is always the possibility that nothing will work anymore.

2 Likes

There was ice on my windshield one morning a couple of weeks ago. I tried the wipers but it wouldn’t brush off.

At the shop, we replace bent and broken wiper linkage quite often in the winter. People just get in and turn the wipers on. Most of the time the blades are stuck to the windshield. Then they turn the wipers off and get out and scrape. Thing is, when the wipers were turned off, they are still on. There is a switch inside the wiper motor that closes when the blades move off their rest so it can complete the wipe cycle. So the wiper motor is still on even though the switch is off. Wiper motors have a lot of torque, so combined with the leverage of the linkage, things bend and break.

Same with power windows…if there is ice on the window keeping the window from lowering, DO NOT try to lower the window. When you hit the down button, that begins the lowering so the window only has to go down 1/8 of an inch to enable the auto down feature. You let go of the button, and the window is still straining to lower. Most all window regulators use a very fine cable over plastic pulleys that are not reinforced to handle repeated over torque.

One winter it was so bad we couldn’t get wiper linkage. People were without their vehicle because they didn’t clean the windshield and broke the linkage.

2 Likes

Nice! Passing this on to some CA mountain folk friends who may not know… :slightly_smiling_face:

/update

Yes, we are very familiar with the perils of ice, snow and freezing temperatures, we try to remember to raise our windshield wipers when we park the car. Our latest scenario which is a first for us, is our garage door is frozen shut to the cement garage floor. I’m going to use a heat gun/ hair dryer to attempt to unfreeze so we don’t tear the rubber off the bottom of the door. Blondie is outside right now doing her daily routine of chiseling and scraping ice from our walk & driveways. Even more painful than a broken windshield wiper or stuck window is slipping and falling on the crap. I would say that everyone who has lived here for any length of time has slipped and fallen multiple times.

/update

You need an automatic ‘garage door bottom rubber gasket heater’ :slight_smile: It’s hard for a flip flop shorts schmo like me to imagine ice world (like Appleton WI where some friends are… ‘warms up’ during the day to just below freezing, if they’re lucky, teens below zero overnight) the falling must be hell, i’ve only taken maybe one uncontrolled spill (not from ice but wet pavement) where i didn’t know where/how i’d land and had to time to think about it in mid-air… i unconsciously reached out to a handrail and broke my fall, very lucky as i was on a concrete stairway…

1 Like

And this is why I live in southern California…

1 Like