Connection to unsecured wifi

Of course guest networks don’t have to be open, but that decision was made a multiple pay grade levels above mine. Our wireless network is massive with access points number well over three thousand. It is estimated that we have over 100 visitors here at any given point who we want to have access to the internet. At any given time there are between 3-5 thousand users on the guest network (mostly employees personal phones and tablets). I have to live in the environment as it is. Unfortunately, Wyze’s decisions and changes means that this environment will not include any new WYZE products.

Well, this totally screwed me. I brought my cam into work to record an event timelapse—can’t connect to our unsecured guest network, can’t connect to our credentialed private network. GREAT CALL, WYZE. ಠ_ಠ

3 Likes

Wow. This seems like a really poor decision like something Apple would do; they are forcing the company’s preferences onto the consumer who paid for the product and should be able to use the product as we see fit.

I live on a large property a half mile from the next property and my property is secure. Therefore, we choose not to encrypt at all and will not be in the future. Epic fail, Wyze. Epic fail. I will stop recommending these cameras to others.

Fortunately, I found a practical workaround for Android not mentioned above by the moderator, that requires minimal technical experience. Only drawback is that this workaround only works with the cameras. I have tested this and it works.

1: Uninstall the current Wyze app
2: Download the version 1.5.82 Wyze app from an app archive site like apkmirror. Google it :wink:
3: Install version 1.5.82 of the Wyze app. This may require allowing the installation of 3rd party apps in the security settings on your Android device. It should prompt you to do so.
4: Login and add all of your WyzeCams and the panning WyzeCams to the Wyze app. For this Wyze version you do NOT need a Wifi password! The green button at the bottom is dimmed, but you can still press it and move forward with the adding process!
5: Update Wyze to the newest version. The cameras are still there! Profit!

For Apple users, find a Android user and perform this process using your Wyze account. Then just login to your account on your Apple device.

Thanks again Wyze for your very first major miscalculation. I would like the last half hour of my life back, please. We implore you, don’t make any more Apple-like decisions!

4 Likes

What a bad decision. Let the end user decide if they want convenience or security. For me, I can’t use my Nanoleaf Canvas because it requires unsecured wifi. So it’s either one device or the other, or I buy another router just to create an additional 2.4ghz network. Stupid.

4 Likes

Thank you for this workaround! I’m in a similar scenario as you described. Great cameras, but poor decision on their part. While they can’t get your half hour back, have an internet high-five from someone who appreciates the time you spent to offer a solution. Salud!

2 Likes

I find it hard to believe any device made in the past several years would require an unsecured network.

Also, if the Nanoleaf Canvas requires an unsecured network, please explain step 8 on this page:
“8. Enter your WiFi network’s password and wait for the connection to complete”.

For those that really feel they need to have unsecured WiFi, many modern routers offer the ability to set up a guest network (although don’t be surprised if it doesn’t offer an option to do it unsecured).

1 Like

According to neoleaf, the panels DO require a secured network:

https://helpdesk.nanoleaf.me/hc/en-us/articles/360003486233-Requirements-for-setting-up-the-Nanoleaf-Light-Panels

So if you’re camera won’t connect to your xfinity wifi, the travel router thing ( sorry idk anything about this lol) you linked will basically connect to your Xfinity wifi and make it’s own???! Tia

I would expect it would work, but would really depend on why you can’t connect to the Xfinity wifi.

If Xfinity wifi is 5GHz only, you would need a different travel router that does both 5GHz and 2.4GHz. The one mentioned in the article is 2.4GHz only.

1 Like

So I just realized its 5g. That’s probably why!?

Also how can you tell between the routers that do both or not? Will it say dual band wifi? Tia

I would check the router’s user manual. Most do 2.4GHz, but may not be enabled by default. It’s very router-specific, so checking the manual is your best bet.

I have the wyze pan cam and wanted to hook it up in my moms nursing home room. The problem is the nursing home will only supply me with the public WiFi that doesn’t have a password. So my wyze camera will not work right? I would be setting this up Wednesday.

Thanks for this — knowing that the 2.4 Gz connection is required — all the machinations needed to make that work? Forget it, the cameras go back.