Connect with Wyze Mesh Router - 11/15/22

Thank you so much!!!

Cathy Etchebehere

So does this REPLACE the router I got from my ISP?

Check it out ya’ll:

Wyze Mesh Router FAQ

https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/sections/9015967199515-Wyze-Mesh-Router-FAQ

4 Likes

It really depends on your ISP, the type of internet you have (DSL, Cable, Fiber, LTE, Satellite, etc.) and mostly the type of equipment they gave you.

If they gave you two pieces of hardware: a single modem\gateway AND a seperate WiFi router, then it will most likely replace the Wifi router.

If they gave you one piece of equipment: a combination modem\gateway and router, probably not because that box will still be required to authenticate your account to your ISP and receive their signal. But it CAN be plugged into the Ethernet Port of that unit to replace the WiFi router function.

My ISP provides a Gateway (Fiber). I refused their WiFi router because they wanted me to rent it and it was a really old and incapable model.

I have fibre optic through cable. I have the single unit Gateway; no separate wifi router. The Gateway I have is wifi 6 dual band and has 4 ethernet ports with one being 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port to support wired speeds over 2 Gbps. In this case would the Wyze mesh router be beneficial to me if I plugged it into the 2.5 Gbps ethernet port?

1 Like

I am not a WiFi Router expert and don’t have the technical expertise and experience with the Mesh varieties that many of the other users here do (who I hope will post in with better technical details). I will be upgrading to the Pro once it is available.

You would still need to keep your ISP provided combo gateway for the fiber line in, but you could add the WMR\WMRPro to replace your existing WiFi network on one of the LAN ports.

From the specs I see on the two:

WMR has a 1 Gigabit\s WAN port for incoming internet and a 1 Gigabit\s LAN port for a local Ethernet client

WMRPro has a 2.5 Gigabit\s WAN port for incoming internet and a 1 Gigabit\s LAN port for a local Ethernet client.

Since your combo fiber Gateway has a 2.5 Gbps LAN port, linking it to the 1Gbps WMR WAN wouldn’t be utilizing the full potential of the Fiber Gateway LAN port. However the WMRPro would be an even match.

But… Are you really getting 2.5Gbps from your ISP? What is the speed cap on your plan? Will you really use all of that 2.5Gbps capability if you are on a Mbps plan?

For me, I will never in a million years use that kind of speed\bandwith because I don’t have a Gigabit ISP :money_mouth_face: wallet. I am cheap when it comes to paying for bandwidth I don’t use. I pay for “just enough”. For me, it is more about the WiFi coverage area and managing my ever-growing ecosystem of devices without bogging my router.

EDIT: Just found this thread. A good one to follow:

I am curious to see how this relatively cheap router will work. Best of luck.

I currently use my AT&T supplied modem/router but attached my **Deco Tri-band AX router ** to run in parallel. AT&T patches their router in a timely manner. I am very happy with it. Since the cams only run on 2.4Ghz, I placed my cams on my AT&T router, solely. I have all of my other heavy duty devices running on the 5Ghz side of my Deco router with WPA3, if possible. If you can find the money, definitely go with tri-band.

1 Like

Getting the Pro is a lock. Getting soaked for Gigabit Fiber bandwidth I can’t\won’t utilize isn’t.

1 Like

My ISP uses PPPoE. I’ve tried 2 other mesh brands and wasn’t able to successfully make it work. Will the Wyze work with this protocol?

Thanks

How can I get a roadmap of upcoming new items?

This is now the 4th time I’ve purchased something and within 2 weeks Wyze launch’s it as new product (air purifier- front door lock - gun safe).

I’m commitment to Wyze with my 20 items (so far ) but now I’m thinking one of us is psychic lol.

Please help me avoid paying other retailers restocking for there returned products (then buy yours instead).

Is a space heater coming up soon?
How about a home safe, heated brush or a puppy?:grin:

I’ll happily wait if I know Wyze is working on it!

3 Likes

I am not aware of any of these items coming up. The best place to find things that may be coming is the Wishlist or Roadmap and see what the topic is tagged as.

5 Likes

Jason, do you think we’ll see the Siren this year. Thanks for all you do.

I am honestly not sure, I will see if I can do some digging though.

You are very welcome.

2 Likes

Dark mode might be around the corner?

On the bright side, Wyze has been adding “Dark Mode” compliance to individual devices’ “Plugin” UI’s lately, little by little while we’re waiting for the rest of the main app to support it.

For example, The Floor Lamp is in Dark Mode, Lighting/Bulbs are in Dark Mode, Air Purifiers, Robot Vacuum, Video Doorbells, Outdoor Plugs, Thermostat, Sprinkler controller, etc…at least until you hit “Settings” and get blinded again :rofl: But I do love that they have been making an effort to convert some of the plugins to Dark Mode while they’re waiting to redo Version 3 of the app so it can be supported in the main UI. The efforts are appreciated by me…but I am still very anxious for an app rewrite to remove all the design debt so they can fix dark mode, etc. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Very good. Thanks.

Can anyone answer this? I have fiber that comes in the house. The ISP has a box that they don’t call it a router, but it is, Will these be able to connect to this or am I SOL?

I have fiber as well. It connects to an ONT [Optical Network Terminal] (the Fiber equivalent of a Modem).

Yes. It should work, IF it has Ethernet ports on the back rather than Coax like some ONT.

If you have a stand alone ONT w\ Ethernet ports and another seperate WiFi Router now that is plugged into an Ethernet port on the ONT, it will replace that WiFi Router.

If you have multiple Ethernet ports on the ONT like mine does, you can actually plug the WMR router in to an open Ethernet port and keep the other WiFi router network running too.

If it is a combination ONT AND WiFi router (one box for both functions) WITH Ethernet ports, the WMR will plug into the Ethernet port on that and replace the WiFi function on the Combo Box. You can either shut off the WiFi network on the Combo Box or leave it active as a seperate network to use.

I don’t have a complicated setup with a media converter for media services so I can’t speak to those setups.

4 Likes

please provide a video and a webspage that overviews the mgmt and diagnostics capabilities of the pro version. The Infinit XB7 / pucks have almost nothing for us. I am looking for Wyze Mesh Pro as a replacement for my 3 pucks which do not work well with reinforced concrete as they do not have wired backhaul in Canada.

the video that Dave has posted identifies that the usb port will be for disk storage for cams locally :clap::clap::clap::clap:

1 Like