Connect with Wyze Mesh Router - 11/15/22

I do not have many details on this, I know about as much as was said in the video. You will be able to connect an external hard drive to the Wyze Mesh Router Pro and it will save your videos so you do not need to mess with micro SD cards. This will also not be ready when the product ships as far as I am aware. This is a feature that is in the works.

2 Likes

@Known1

I am not sure, but I have reported it to be fixed.

@terrywilliams13

I am told it does support Port Forwarding.

@Saff522
The app will show a list of all devices connected to the router. I am not sure what you mean by control each device from the app. I will have to check and see if it will alert you to new items attempting to connect.

@dualtronic

One port is 2.5Gbps and the other is 1Gbps.

4 Likes

Maybe consider a TP-Link EAP660. I bought one recently for less than the Pro Wyze Mesh and it works amazing and has the 2.5Gbe port you mentioned.

1 Like

What type of QoS implementation is used if any? SQM would be ideal.

Each Wyze Mesh Router covers up to 1500 sqft
Each Wyze Mesh Router Pro covers up to 2000 sqft

For example, if you have a home that’s 6000 sqft then you’ll need.
Minimum of 4 units of Wyze Mesh Router (that’ll be 2 x 2-pack)
Minimum of 3 units of Wyze Mesh Router Pro (that’ll be 1 x 1-pack and 2 x 2-pack)

5 Likes

@NTENNIS Wyze Mesh Router support bridge mode.

You can setup all routers to connect together as a Wi-Fi Mesh topology, then enable bridge mode on the app essentially turning the router feature off. That way all routers are acting as Mesh APs.

6 Likes

Yes. Here is a graphic from the product page, focus on the bottom of the image, “Devices”.

Control how? Like view the cameras and events like you can right now? Yes. The routers will be another device that shows in the homepage device list just like how your cameras and other Wyze products do.

@Herman In the house! :heart: :smiley:

6 Likes

this @SommerFamily6778 @K6CCC

Still looking for answers RE: VLAN support, as per @K6CCC question as well. Exposing that (or at least supporting VLANs) will be a biiiiiiig plus.

Control as if I wanted to cut off the wi-fi signal to a certain Firestick or to a cell phone / pc connected to my system.

1 Like

For that specific use case, yes, you will be able to go into the Connected Device list and block access.

4 Likes

As @R.Good stated this is possible, you will be able to block access to any device on the list.

4 Likes

Is the new Router like a wifi extender? I still don’t understand why or how I could replace this product with my current Spectrum router. Can you please explain the function of this new product to a non technical person??? Thank you.

I’ve been an early adopter of Wyze products. I’ve been a cheerleader.
I’ve spent a LOT of money on Wyze.

I’d love to continue all of the above, but the total lack of response FOR TWO YEARS to our inability to change the camera alert tone on IOS has finally pissed me off.

DEAL WITH YOUR LEGACY PRODUCTS, OR LOSE LOYAL CUSTOMERS. sheesh….

2 Likes

@maryannd44: Mesh routers and Wi-Fi extenders intend the same thing, which is to increase the range of your Wi-Fi signal. However, mesh routers work in a way that is more efficient than extenders.

Home routers come in a bunch of different varieties. There was a post on this very thread that discussed a “modem” (interesting read and debate on that). What some people call a router could actually be an all-in-one unit that is a modem, small LAN switch, router, and wireless access point… or some combination of those things.

The key is that if you have Wi-Fi at home, then you have a wireless access point, either as a separate unit or as a part of an all-in-one device. The Wyze Mesh Routers aim to replace your wireless access point with newer Wi-Fi 6 technology and with mesh technology.

In my specific case, I have an all-in-one AT&T “router” which has a modem and a built-in wireless access point. The wireless access point isn’t capable of Wi-Fi 6. If I wanted to get these Wyze Mesh Routers, I would have to disable the “wireless access point” functionality in my current AT&T router (usually via the router’s software). I would then plug from my AT&T router to the new Wyze Mesh Routers. So, in essence, the devices would work side by side and not as a replacement. But again, that is my specific case.

Than you

Can the Parental Controls block domains just for certain users or devices? How about time quota controls or schedules?

While I’m not replacing my current pro mesh system with the new Wyze one, I can still answer your question.
In general, a cable provided modem/router like your Spectrum router is usually very basic, limited in range, and can only handle a limited amount of devices at once before problems start. A simple add-on range extender is usually very limited in number of devices it can connect to, and very often cuts the speed in half or worse due to the way they work. With a good mesh router, each satellite device works as well or nearly as well as the main router.

With so many smart devices, computers, phones, cameras, TV’s, etc building up in people’s homes, it puts a strain on your home network, so good routers become more necessary. A mesh system like Wyze is offering can handle more devices and also adds range with multiple satellite/extensions, especially in large or multi level homes.

With smart bulbs, switches, computers, and the list goes on, I currently have close to 70 devices listed on my mesh router’s info page. I couldn’t get trouble free use of all those things everywhere in and outside the house if I used a router from my cable internet company, especially outside cameras a long way from the router.

3 Likes

Thank you so much!!!

Cathy Etchebehere

So does this REPLACE the router I got from my ISP?

Check it out ya’ll:

Wyze Mesh Router FAQ

https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/sections/9015967199515-Wyze-Mesh-Router-FAQ

4 Likes