Colour Bulbs for kennel building

Hi everyone,

I run a non-profit dog rescue and am trying to improve the kennel building. currently have the old 4ft shop lights which are horrible and am thinking about seeing if I can get them switched out to these bulbs, which I would be able to change lighting in the evening and night to help calm and settle the dogs.

My question is - there are currently 4 x 4ft bulbs down the center of the kennels - the kennel part is approx 55ft x 15ft.

During the daytime I would need the bright light, if the bulbs were down the center of the kennels are they bright enough for the light to reach both sides of the kennels - also - would I be able to just have one bulb for every 4ft light or would I need more to have complete coverage.

I have to weigh up the cost of replacing the fittings, filling in the ceiling from the previous lights and then however many bulbs.

Thank you in advance.

Jen
Give a Dog a Home Rescue
Sebec, Maine

Welcome to the Wyze User Community Forum @giveadogahome! :raising_hand_man:

The Wyze Color Bulbs are 1100 Lumen 12 Watt LED bulbs at their brightest. On paper, this would be equivalent to a 75 Watt incandescent, although I would personally equate it closer to a 60 Watt incandescent bulb.

The total lumens you would require for your space will be dependant on how bright you want it. You would get the total lumens required value by multiplying your square footage by the foot candle value you desire for the space.

There is a handy Lumens Calculator here but you will have to pick a brightness level for a listed room or space that would be equivalent to what you need. Dog Kennel isn’t one that they consider. It will also depend on the height of the lights, the wall color, and the intensity you desire at max brightness. Divide the total by 1100 and that will tell you how many bulbs you need.

1 Like