Change WiFi Network Name (SSID) and password without device reset

I have used mine while traveling.

• I had it set up at my house on my home network,
  • Then used my Phones hotspot while driving to use it as a dash cam,
  • Then used it with my laptops mobile hotspot while in a hotel as a baby monitor.

But going through the setup process is time consuming it would be great if we could just change the setting or even better if the camera could memorize a few networks. Or I guess I could just own one camera for each task.

8 Likes

My cameras are mounted up high and I recently changed the I’d of my wireless network. It would be useful to allow you to change the wireless network the cameras use through the app rather then take them down and go through the setup again.

24 Likes

Thanks to @Loki 's to I saw and am voting for this! Possibly will need to change SSID and really don’t want to hear "ready to connect"over and over!

15 Likes

I would love to see a feature that would allow me to select all my Wyze wifi devices and provide a new SSID and password. It feels like it’s going to be such a chore to change my wifi settings if I ever need to with all my smart home devices I am accumulating.

15 Likes

Found a cute workaround for my problem. Needed to combine my SSID into one name instead of separate for 2.4 and 5G. Problem was most of my cams were installed under the default 2.4 SSID.
Dawned on me that the device doesn’t care what the verbage of the SSID is, it just cares what the actual network is,
So, combined the SSID into the 2.4 name for both, thereby saving myself a lot of re-installing of cams and the 5G capable devices don’t care what their SSID reads as long as they get 5G.
And I don’t have to climb ladders.

1 Like

I would like the ability to save a list of SSIDs and passwords that the camera should connect to rather than a single SSID. The camera would try to connect to the first SSID, then try the second if that failed, etc.

1. This would allow the camera to be moved from one location to another without having to go through the setup process:
    • Baby monitor used at home and at a babysitter’s house
    • Cam normally connected to home WiFi could connect to a phone or mobile hotspot when traveling
  2. It would also allow easier migration from an old SSID to a new SSID, or old password to new password by adding both to the list.
    • When the SSID change occurs the old connection would fail and the camera would try the next (new) SSID
  3. It would also allow customers who have multiple SSIDs to have a preferred/primary SSID but have the camera fall back to another SSID in case the signal is too weak or a network is unavailable.

This functionality is already available in Linux through a plain text config file for wpa_supplicant, so it should be relatively easy to implement on the Linux-based WyzeCam firmware.

19 Likes

(apologies if you are already aware of this)… there’s a workaround for this although it does require purchasing and additional $20-ish piece of hardware. That would be a small travel router such as the GL.iNet. The router can retain multiple wifi SSIDs and bridge the camera’s single setup SSID to them as needed.

Here are instructions: http://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360031368512-Setting-up-on-a-network-with-a-login-portal

I use this for a camera I travel with. For the Pan, the GL.iNet happens to have the exact footprint of the Pan, so I double stick taped it to the top and used the Pan’s USB port to power it with a 6 inch microUSB cord.

2 Likes

Yes, I already have an MT300N that I also use for this purpose. I was just suggesting that the functionality is already there in Linux to support multiple SSIDs, and opening up that feature would solve many other issues such as changing SSIDs/passwords/locations without requiring additional hardware or a full reset.

2 Likes

I decided to beef up my router security (with ssid name change) just to realize that I have to drop and re-add 50+ Wyze products under the new ssid. Why don’t you allow to propagate changed network info (ssid) for a single device to all other devices on an account. So I don’t have to spend 2 days climbing ladders re-adding every single device (and I use Wyze exclusively).

15 Likes

Wow, that’s a lot of devices. I feel your pain. I sure hope they get around to implementing this. Be sure to click the VOTE button at the top of the topic.

4 Likes

Please do change the way we change wifi network name!

3 Likes

I’m wondering if it’s possible or will be possible in a future update to change the wifi network without having to press the setup button on the camera? I have my cameras mounted to if I run into issues and have to change to a different network (extender) then I have to bring them down and physically press the setup button. It would be great if I could just do that within the app.

6 Likes

The ability to change networks without having to redo each camera individually. All but one camera are mounted in places that are not very convenient to get to. This is a MAJOR PITA especially when we have 5-10 feet of snow on the ground.

5 Likes

It’s not just your cameras. Every wifi connected device you have has that problem. I have around 60 of them.

Because of this, people don’t want to change their wifi password regularly as the experts say you should.

Some kind of standard for updating wifi credentials needs to happen.

10 Likes

Thanks! Voted!

Wyze please allow us to change the WiFi that our devices our on without resetting up the device! Thanks

4 Likes

WrecksO,

Your post is eloquent. I have 25 devices. Some are better than others about reconnecting, but it’s usually the ones in really awkward places that don’t. Life would be soooo much easier if there was some kind of standard for updating credentials, or the next best thing - really smart devices.
You have two thumbs up from me !.

DickyC3PO

3 Likes

When using camera as a baby monitor we frequently travel to the locations where we know the Wifi config. (Family and friend houses) Rather than have to reconfigure WyzeCam for each house each time it would be nice to store credentials for each network and automatically apply then when an appropriate network is found (Like a smartphone or laptop does).

2 Likes

Please let me add my voice to this request. I currently have 34 IOT devices in my home, and for that reason I am buying a new router to replace the ISP provided router that only supports 30 clients. Resetting smart plugs and smart bulbs to change the SSID is no big deal because you just have to switch them on-off-on-off a few times. But with my 5 Wyze cameras mounted outside I will have to climb the ladder to bring them down and remove them from the weather resistant enclosures. Yes, I know these are designed to be indoor cameras, but the reality is many Wyze owners are using them outdoors in this manner with great results.

So, please, update the app or firmware so we can change SSID without having to physically put our hands on the camera. As people add more and more IOT devices to their homes, you are going to see a lot more people being required to upgrade their routers or switch to mesh systems. Not to mention changing your SSID password from time to time is a good cyber security practise. Especially after a divorce, etc.

2 Likes

I’m not that technological expert but come to think of it… I think this is quite hard to implement because of the following…

• if the camera cannot connect to the SSID it was configured before, how could it connect to internet to be able for your Wyze app to tell it the new SSID?
  • the camera does not have other means of connectivity, no sim for 3G/4G, no bluetooth
  • the only way I could think of is that the camera should create a wifi hotspot so your phone could connect to it directly and Wyze app would be able to set the new SSID
  • but then, when would the camera should create its own wifi hotspot and wait for a phone to connect? how could it tell that the lost of its known SSID is because its owner change it? and not just because of power outage?
  • and also if this will be the default behavior of the camera if it cannot connect to its known SSID for quite some time, then it could be a security risk since anyone could connect to its wifi hotspot and configure it for himself.

I believe this is the reason why almost all other IP cameras requires these procedure for its network configuration, but like I say, I’m not really that expert, so probably others might have a better and secure way to implement this.

3 Likes