Best bulb color to not attract bugs

Yellow

Yup. BLACK

1 Like

LED LIGHTS AND FLYING INSECTS

1 Like

I have Hue bulbs, not Wyze bulbs. However, for the white bulbs that are outside, I put them at 30% at night and they don’t attract a large number of flying insects. If more light is needed, there are motion sensitive floods that will activate.

1 Like

Budstewart, you are a genius! Love your “black” light suggestion!

Like we do with a DIY “black” Wyze Cam, I sprayed an LED bulb with BLACK Plasti-Dip paint, making sure the entire bulb surface was painted. I took care to mask off the bulb base (black electrician tape works well for this!) before painting. To insure total bulb coverage, I sprayed two coats.

I put the now “black” bulb outside last night … and guess what! No bugs.

Now, admittedly, the now black bulb didn’t emit much light. In fact, I didn’t see any light at all … but that’s a good thing, right? If I can’t see any light, neither can the bugs!

3 Likes

Dark suckers.

3 Likes

Wrecks0>>>for example the dark suckers in the room where you are. There is less dark right next to them than there is elsewhere.

Thanks for that explanation! :smiley:

my out door light is a “daylight” LED. Not sure why but no bugs are attracted to it.

1 Like

Agree. My outdoor “warm white” LED bulbs don’t attract bugs here in the Midwest either. Seems to be a “regional” thing.

“Daylight” LEDs are supposed to have more “blue” which can attract bugs, but glad your experience along the same lines as mine.

For what ever reason, hope the LED attractable bugs stay far away.

With incandescent bulbs, we had to clean out the dead bugs out of our outdoor fixtures twice a year. Since installing LED bulbs 3 years ago, we haven’t had to clean out the dead bugs once.

When you look at the instructions on those yellow “bug bulbs” they say that they only work if there is another regular bulb nearby to attract the insects away from it.

2 Likes

:rofl: I’ll have to remember that. Lol

Blue LED bulbs work for me.

I know that Wyze Bulbs aren’t intended for outdoor use, but my apartment balcony is totally shielded soooo…

Normally, I keep an amber/yellow bug light installed out there. Decided that I’d like remote control over this and a few other lights. The balcony fixture in particular sports a 3" collar opaque white acrylic globe. No problem radiating yellow light when the bulb itself is already yellow, but how to make a Wyze Bulb yellow?

Buy an identical globe from Home Depot and apply deep yellow glass paint to it:

Next question… Wyze discourages fully enclosing their bulbs since the wifi base gets hotter than a standard dumb bulb. How not to fully enclose the bulb?

Using glass/porcelain circle saw bits such as these…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L9NLPYP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_HbkADbVSRJZ3N

…drill a series of whiffle ball style ventilation holes around the circumference at a high latitude:

End result? The custom globe with Wyze Bulb at its warmest color temp yields amber/yellow light (similar to Lohas LED, etc.) on the balcony… :slight_smile:

I’ve always heard that many insects don’t “see” yellow light wavelengths and this is why bug bulbs are as they are. Personally, I just prefer the warmer light.

4 Likes

If you wanted a wyze bulb to be yellow ,you would just have to pop the plastic top off the bulb, with the right kind of paint , give it a shot , pop it back together, done deal

Yeah, but I’m not wild about the naked bulb look. The globe diffuses the light nicely.

Also, I was trying to keep things as close to original condition as possible on my balcony.

1 Like

I get that ,I like your idea
When I checked this, Wyze runs at 150°F 60 Watt incandescent bulb runs at 207°F

1 Like

Yeah, I actually tested it naked vs fully enclosed for periods of time just to see the difference.

I didn’t really notice any significant heat buildup before drilling the holes and the globe remained cool to the touch. However, I could feel some heat radiating out of the collar gap. Fixture above the bulb & globe was also a tad warmer.

Main concern for me is if I’m traveling someplace. Not sucking around for a fire hazard in a multi-tenant building if you know what I mean… :upside_down_face:

EDIT: Meant to add here that I’m sure the recommendation against enclosure is also to protect the bulb itself from overheating and premature wear.

1 Like

I have one bulb in and enclosed fixture in entryway I’m not worried about it getting hot it doesn’t stay on long enough to get hot , it turns on with motion sensor and is set to turn off after 2 minutes after motion stops

Yeah that’s another thing with my setup, I leave mine on from sunset til bedtime, so anywhere from 4-6hrs at a time. And I plan to simulate being at home while away with a similar schedule. I’ve also reduced the brightness to 72% … not sure that really helps with heat that much though for an LED application.

Haven’t quite figured out how to use triggers effectively in my apartment, but I do have some broad actions scheduled from daytime to evening to overnight. And some smart alerts from the wyze sense stuff.

Lmao… I actually have some plasti-dip onhand. However. I do need my lone outdoor bulb to actually emit light… great post!

Wyze could market this as an April Fool’s or gag gift with “Efficient - No electricity required!” on the box. Works just as well off as it does on, so you might as well leave it off!

Does that porch bulb work? Nope, its a tiny black hole that gobbles up all the light around it!

hqdefault

4 Likes