Apple HomeKit Integration

HKSV effectively lobotomizes the camera and really only wants the raw video.

There are several caveats in red text throughout the cam app UI that show what is being changed (another example is resolution where the cam gets downgraded to 1080p from 2K).

Simply put: Wyze doesn’t see any benefit to HomeKit and won’t support it.

They tried, Apple would not give them an exception to the requirements. If you read up somewhere in this thread the second stream coming from Wyze is 360 which does not meet Apples requirements of 720. Wyze could not upgrade the firmware to meet that requirement and asked for an exception and were denied.

2 Likes

You can use bulbs, plug contact sensor motion sensor with the „homebridge-wyze-connected-home“ plugin on Homebridge.

For cameras with the RTSP Firmware you can use the „Homebridge Camera FFmpeg“ plugin on Homebridge.

Great, that’s a big plus for them to add Homekit and Homekit Secure Video. If only WYZE would at least add Homekit. Instead of ignoring half of the U.S. Population.

1 Like

What is the status of using HomeKit and RTSP? I was using the Homekit beta and RTSP firmware but both stopped working. I guess after a recent update? Can I install previous update s to make HomeKit and RTSP work again? Also, I liked the way the cameras worked with HomeKit and raspberrypi and would like to get that functionality back.

I think the status is that it’s not going to happen until Wyze Cam V4.

Eufy Indoor Cam 2k. Works great with HKSV. Have not tried streaming to RP yet.

1 Like

If you really want Homekit support, and Wyze is to laze to support it directly or at least create a plug-in for say HOOPS, then better off to look elsewhere than dealing with RTSP for soso support for 1 camera.

Forget about waiting around in the HOPE of Wyze support. It seem they don’t give a crap about half of the U.S. that use iPhones.

1 Like

EUFY in general makes a number of really good products, including their cameras. I believe they also support Homekit these days also. I’d take a look over at them for your camera needs.

Eufy supports both HomeKit and HomeKit Secure Video (all AI processing on local Apple hubs and encrypted before storage, if you want it stored, and encrypted end-to-end). Apple has no way of viewing your content.

Wyze has full access to your stored video.

1 Like

I’m not going to be able to purchase WYZE products going forward until there is a HomeKit solution. The HomeKit Beta seemed to work well but I guess WYZE gave up. I think I’ll try the Eufy Indoor Cam 2k and look into HKSV. Thanks

5 Likes

True but the 15-20 second lag is hardly worth it if you need to access the camera quickly. If your setup is faster please let me know what you did. I have parents with dementia living with me and I need to access the camera much quicker.

Eufy has benefited from HK integration and people do not seem to worry about the drop to 1080p in hopes that HK will upgrade at some point. I am one of them.

2 Likes

Only if you do not mind a 10-15 second lag.

With HKSV, I rarely have more than a second or two lag. I have not tried the RTSP and probably won’t.

However, Apple’s AI still thinks my cat is a person and there’s no way to flag it for supervised learning. Facial recognition is ok but I have the camera pointed perpendicularly to the door so it usually only sees profile views. I’m sure it would work much better on a doorbell and I’ll probably migrate to Logitech for that.

I’ve limited what I buy from WYZE because of lack of Homekit support. Ignoring 50% of the U.S. population that have iPhones!!!

Some things it’s not a big deal, other things it’s a huge deal. I’m a homekit house. I like to control things with my Apple Watch. It’s another reason why I didn’t Pre-Order their new light. Lack of Homekit support. Same with their Door lock, and Alarm system, etc. The Home temp control and Lawn watering, well I already have other brands for that, Ecobee4 for home temp control and Rachio for lawn sprinkler control. Both that support everyone!!! Alexa, Google, Apple Homekit, and Smartthings and IFTTT. So they can do it. Same goes with EUFY. I’m going to support the company’s that support me.

1 Like

I am encourage that wyze was represented at the CHIP meeting discussing the future of home automation. Maybe there is a future approach that would connect wyze to other platforms in the future CHIP world of automation which is going to standardize automation. Maybe?

I did not know about CHIP. Thanks for mentioning that.

I have been trying out some of the Philips Hue light products in one part of my house. They certainly cost a lot more than Wyze stuff, but the HomeKit integration is really nice. I still really enjoy Wyze Cams, but I might just continue down the Hue road for lights.

If you have a HomePod Mini and you are looking for color bulbs I suggest checking out Nanoleaf Essentials. Their bulbs are only $20 compared to Hue’s which are $50-$60. With the HomePod Mini they use Thread to connect so they are fast and reliable. I have had 8 of them since they came out and I love them. Now that Wyze has showed their cards releasing their color bulbs without HomeKit support I am purchasing more Nanoleaf bulbs. Right now my stance with Wyze is I will buy some of the new products that are either not smart or as something I am just interested in checking out. My main purchases that get daily use in my house will go to other companies that support HomeKit. Maybe now that CHIP is almost here Wyze will start to focus on adding support for HomeKit but I am not holding my breath.

1 Like

I do have HomePod/Mini, love them. Yeah, the Hue color stuff is pricey. I only have one bulb right, just to try it out.

Thanks for mentioning the Nanoleaf bulbs and Thread. I had not read much on Thread until now. That is a really great idea and IOT devices are a really good application of that protocol. I have been testing out the Nanoleaf Lightstrip. Connectivity has been sketchy. A lot of times it takes a while to connect, if it connects at all. Though I do realize that wireless connectivity is not perfect with any IOT device. Hmm… perhaps it is not close enough to the Mini…

Anyway, I do hope Wyze is working toward joining CHIP and supporting HomeKit.