App in need of serious redesign - Yes or No?

Hi gang! I’m a product designer at Wyze. Thanks for making this post- I’ve asked Gwen to blow my Slack up with any and all accessibility-related posts they find anywhere. I can help shed some light on where we’re at with our accessibility efforts.

How our app got to where it is today is probably a discussion for another time. Wyze took on millions of users and had to build the app faster than it could scale- and without a design team that could plan and strategize a direction for our app. Wyze leaned heavily on partners. The good news is we now have a design team. Nothing new will ever leave our studio that is not highly accessible.

So the problem to solve now is how to deal with the current beast. For the next 2.11 or 2.12 release, I redesigned a lot of core components- like the header, so it not only meets WCAG contrast ratios, but will be rated AAA. I also pushed out a 100% new Events feed which will be ready around the same time. For our 2.10+ release, I sneaked in a tweak to the footer text, but I’m hoping we can give it a full redesign soon. I’m redesigning Rules and Shortcuts as of today, but no ETA on that yet.

I believe that is a large chunk of areas in our app that fail basic accessibility. Are there any other specific items that are difficult to see that I could tackle?

@angus.black @The_Tango @Big_monkey @jarussell @myswtest @jerryjam @bradgonemad @colquhouncb @joenapoleon @lsintampa

7 Likes