Any one actually like the outdoor camera?

WOC is a HUGE letdown for me. After the indoor camera I wanted a similar outdoor offering that would work for security. Why did the company design a camera with little actual demand? Please make a GREAT outdoor security camera with PoE ethernet cable and follow standards allowing 3rd party apps like Blue Iris and others to manage it (or make an app in house). Keep the price fair and sell tons of cameras.

1 Like

Sod, I just noticed your image icon…

I’m let down by my WOC too. I bought it with the hopes of catching animals in our back yard. I’ve had it installed for a week now and it has only recorded one instance. And the video started too late and almost missed the animal. This is with sensitivity set at 100%. The game camera I have right above the WOC captured the animal long before the Wyze camera.

4 Likes

Good catch! :slightly_smiling_face: Yes, well, um, er, I adopted that before they came out and I liked the visual similarity to the AT&T Death Star. But, during the infamous Zoom launch event I decided to hold off on ordering one until some real world results were in. Now I’ve just been too lazy to change it… but one day! :grinning:

:rofl: :joy:

Thank you for posting that video! It really hit the spot!

After years of playing with varying quality game cameras, often poorly located through, ahem, bonehead user error, my family gives me endless grief about my collection of what they call “Animal Butts Running Away - Volume 12

Now I will really have something to show them! :grin:

So yes, you have my sympathy! This is quite a letdown because the one thing I expected the WOC to be was a “game camera with WiFi” :frowning_face:

3 Likes

yup most videos I got (of the few it did actually capture) were exactly that, the last 0.5 seconds of the object in frame, than 11.5 seconds of nothing

1 Like

I like mine. I will order at least 2 more. Mine has worked flawlessly. The battery life is awesome. Great live stream resolution. Very versatile. I can move it anywhere I want.

2 Likes

Motion Detection stopped working about an hour after I set it up. Tried all kinds of troubleshooting. So far this is a piece of junk…

Somebody please explain to me how a camera that costs 5-10 times a Wyze camera and is labeled a security camera saves lives?? :thinking:

I dislike the outdoor camera because it falls short on what I wanted and expected from the way it was described…plain and simple!!

It costs more but performs poorly compared to the V2… :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

This topic a little overwhelming to read. The TL;DR version I think is: WOC is not a security.product. Got it.

One thing that is for certain. No one company is owning this space of Be All to End All array of home automation and security products so I’m currently doing the next best thing; using in parallel multiples of everything from different vendors and protocols. From sensors to cameras to central hub, I have multiples all working in parallel all doing the same thing at the same time.

What has it gotten me? Major headaches and much angst of quality and design but greater sense of confidence of something working barring dead internet but that’s yet another story about LAN only func.

On a good day I get multiple notifications of same event at the same times or very close. On a average day, I get only one notification of an event from only one product. On a bad day, needless to say, no notifications that my house was completely wiped out robbed blindly.

Failure of interoperability and lack of standard is killing this industry. Wyze of course follows none of the industry std aka Zwave, zigbee etc so they have a closed system. What I’ve built is a hybrid in trying to find the best for the money.

Although I have plenty to complain about. For the most part Wyze stuff does work from cost and reasonable expectation of function perspective for being a home product.

One key reason for why I’m doing the craziness I’m doing is I’m trying to figure out a good system I can implement elsewhere with high sense of reliability or at a minimum knowing limits of function.

I’m actually having fun with Wyze. As mentioned in a different post, I have in excess of 20+ V2 cams, 5 sensors I think, 3 WCO’s, 2 Locks and keypads and a pear tree.

2 Likes

I finally just got mine today (sooo many delays by the shipping companies) and am sorely disappointed by the range. I get about 30 feet line of sight through a single window/wall into my back yard, My regular wifi is plenty strong at all locations.

The fact that the base station needs to be wired is a huge annoyance, too. I expected to be able to move around the house as I move the camera (back of house for garden time lapses, front of house for catching mailbox thieves) but that now seems completely unfeasible. Even if I had an ethernet plug at the very front of my house, the short range still wouldn’t allow it to work (both my garden and mailbox are at least twice the max range through a single window/wall).

Also a little sad this doesn’t have a magnet on the base like the v2 cams. That’s one of the best features for mounting them.

1 Like

All I really wanted was a factory waterproofed V2. I read the specs of the Outdoor cam and thought I could make it work. But, the base station connectivity limitations are killing it for me. It doesn’t have as good of out of the box detection as the Cam Pan for Cam V2. But, I suppose that’s to be expected with the use of PIR instead of the video compares that the other cams do. I am getting a better outdoor night time picture than my other Wyze cams. But, if you can’t maintain base station connectivity, that doesn’t help much.

3 Likes

I knew what I was getting when I ordered the WCO. I like that the WCO is battery powered and wireless. I have use cases for this and it fills it well. I plan on moving them about the property.

I do not like the base station, it is another thing to plug in for electricity and then having the base station hardwired into your network. I have great wireless all over the house and yard so this is just another vampire device consuming electricity and adding to the already crowded 2.4 ghz channel congestion.

Maybe if the WCO has the option to use your existing wireless network, but it does not.

Maybe if the base station recorded clips from the WCO on the base station SD card, negating the need for a SD card in the camera, but it does not.

Maybe if the base station was wireless and could be used as an extender for the Wyze devices, but it cannot.

Maybe if the base stations could monitor and graph WCO battery usage with event correlation, but it does not.

Hmmm, maybe if Wyze release firmware upgrades to address the maybes . . .

3 Likes

Well put, I could not agree more.

1 Like

the wco is supposed to record clips to the base station sd. The one in the camera is for sch recordings and time lapse.

it does

Ahhh, maybe better instructions so I users are aware.

I do have Wyze 32 GB SD cards in the base stations, but I cannot seem to view them without taking the card out. I see no play option. Is that expected.

Also, If I check the SD card in the base stations, 3 out of 10 times it will say no SD card installed. That does not seem right either.

Huh, that’s how my V2s treat SD cards.

Currently base station SD card contents needs to be viewed on a computer.

Maybe a firmware upgrade to allow us to stream playback from base station, it cannot be a battery issue since the base station is plugged in to a power outlet, it cannot be a wireless network issue since the base station is hardwired into the network . . . .