Allow Unsecure (no password) WiFi Networks

I understand that Wyze has decided to remove the ability to connect to unsecured wireless networks due to security concerns. While I personally realize the concerns around this, there are still use cases for this including guest networks (without a login page) and for testing. I’d like Wyze to consider adding this ability back in the future, but present a warning to the user, or even make it setting you have to turn on with the warning there, rather than completely removing the functionality.

Until Wyze changes their minds on this, there are a couple of workarounds that can be used if you want to keep your base home network unsecured but also provide a secure network for the Wyze. One is free and the other has a small hardware cost. I realize these may not be suitable in all cases.

1. Most wifi routers have the ability to have a separate guest network, often without password required. You could set this up with your existing SSID (so you don’t have to change any other devices) and also set up the primary network with WPA2 encryption.

2. You could use a travel router as an intermediary device that will connect to your unsecured home network and bridge that over to a secure network accessible by the Wyze Cams. Complete instructions for that are here:

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/search/click?data=BAh7CjoHaWRsKwiQxpPSUwA6CXR5cGVJIgxhcnRpY2xlBjoGRVQ6CHVybEkiYC9oYy9lbi11cy9hcnRpY2xlcy8zNjAwMTUxODU1NTItSG93LVRvLUNvbm5lY3QtV3l6ZS1DYW1zLVRvLVdpRmktTmV0d29ya3MtV2l0aC1Qb3J0YWwtUGFnZXMGOwdUOg5zZWFyY2hfaWRJIilkMjlkZjg4Zi00YTU2LTRhYTUtODlhZi05ZThhMzdlZDEyYzAGOwdGOglyYW5raQY%3D--d21dfa80e66d6b60f27cb5ef1a1cfba3d47dfd3a

4 Likes

Well, that is no help whatsoever.

1 Like

Sorry, that’s all I got.

1 Like

Propagandhi, if you are using Android, you can download an older version of the APK (I’d recommend doing this on an alternate device) and it will let you set it up through that. Then you can manage the device from then on with the newer version.

3 Likes

Cant be connected to open wifi??? Why? Please change this.
I just got it in and was setting it up and cant get past the part where it asks for wifi password and called tech support and was told with out wifi password I could not set it up. Not very happy here, this should be in the advertising and I would have not bought it. Please notify me if there is a change in this policy.

2 Likes

Sorry that you aren’t able to use the camera, you can vote at the top of the page for the roadmap topic but Wyze recently took away this feature because it was a security risk

2 Likes

Also, in case you missed it, see my post near the top of this topic with a couple of possible workarounds.

1 Like

So is this GL router wireless? Looks like it needs a rj45. I’m no computer wiz. I also understand that this is an odd request, why don’t I have a password… I’m sure your thinking. It’s a bar with open wifi for customers.

Thx

If it’s an open wifi in a public place, then it’s really exposing the camera (and your Wyze account) to getting hacked. I’d definitely want the camera behind the WPA router.

Yes, the GL.iNet is wireless. You do not ever need to connect it to RJ45 to set it up or use it. The only wire it needs is a USB to USB-micro power supply (like the one that comes with the Wyze Cam).

2 Likes

I can think of reasons (maybe not good reasons). One is just the little inconvenience of telling your guests the password and having them have to enter it. Another would be a public establishment where getting that info to the customers might be difficult.

Yup. I stay in some hotels that have unsecured wifi. I always use a VPN plus a portable intermediate WPA2 router. Some places are just not ever going to secure their wifi as much as they should.

3 Likes

You are all assuming that a “guest network” is at a small retail establishment. The guest network in my case was spread out over 100 locations, anywhere from a small office to a large multi-story building with many different departments (healthcare facilities). While it might seem trivial at a small establishment to share a password with your customers, sharing that password across many different locations can be a daunting task. Then, when you want to update that password for whatever reason (they used to have a guest network with a password), it’s impossible to get everyone to update their signage across those 100 locations. The only advantage you are gaining is encrypting the traffic in air, but honestly, what is that saving you if you are already on the network because there was a password clearly spelled out in signage? Encrypt your personal mobile device’s traffic if that is a concern.

2 Likes

I’m using MAC filtering instead of a wifi password. I have a whitelist of MAC addresses that I allow to connect to my network, anything that’s not listed can’t connect. Unfortunately because of this it’s not possible to create a wifi password. And because of that I can’t connect any new Wyze cams even though I have older ones working fine that were added before this password requirement nonsense. Very frustrating.

6 Likes

There are so many reasons to allow unsecured SSIDS. Please update the code to allow this, if necessary pop up a warning stating to the user “It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED you not connect to an unsecured network!”

7 Likes

While there are a few benefits, I believe it does not outweigh the risks. Especially depending on where you put those cameras.

Wyze should then add to there product description, “For security concerns this camera will not work on unsecure (no password) WiFi networks”

7 Likes

Our company has an “Open WiFi network” and we use this on our WyzeCam’s. This is the only way to connect these devices, as our secured WiFi needs a certificate in order for any device to connect (iPhone or Android). This means with Wyze’s new feature, we can no longer install/control anymore cams (sad). I agree with everyone, show a splash-screen warning, then allow the cam setup to move forward.

2 Likes

Where can we find an older version of the APK installer package?

2 Likes

Guys, Please listen to your customer base. Just go back to open and allow users to do what they wish. This is silly that you are trying to instill your own policy which goes against the IEEE standards for 802.11.
You’ve broken several more wyze cams from working due to this policy change.
Thanks !

4 Likes