Allow Unsecure (no password) WiFi Networks

I have not heard of this being a problem and I’m not sure how the primary network would know that the connecting device is a travel router.

I am using the travel router mentioned in the article below, which was about $25 when I bought it.

1 Like

I found a great workaround! It’s called Arlo.

3 Likes

Voted:

• While it is a good idea to use WPA/2-PSK on wireless networks, Wyze shouldn’t really be the enforcement point for that. That’s like me checking ID at a local liquor store of which I’m a customer - it’s not my business to enforce it.
  • Wyze should ensure the data they transmit from their devices to the app and to their servers is encrypted, rather than only require that the wireless traffic from the devices to the wireless access point is encrypted. Joining an unsecured wireless network then shouldn’t increase the risk to Wyze devices.
  • There are legitimate cases where an unsecured wireless network is available and creating a separate WPA/2-PSK SSID isn’t viable - for example, a university environment that wishes to provide as-low-of-barrier-as-possible wireless to everyone, not requiring a captive portal or PSK as that would increase the barrier, and where the number of SSIDs that can be created is limited (they may already have multiple SSIDs for various purposes). Visiting researchers wishing to use Wyze devices to monitor their experiments should be able to join the open, unsecured wireless network, as it would be overly burdensome on the campus IT to create dedicated SSIDs with WPA/2-PSK authentication for a couple of $20 devices. Users standing up their own travel routers to offer a WPA/2-PSK network to the Wyze devices would cause 2.4GHz interference for the campus wireless system, so that’s not really viable either.

In short - we like Wyze, we want to use Wyze, but we feel requiring authentication for wireless networks is an over-reach on Wyze’s part.

4 Likes

Success on an Apple Time Capsule here! I had to add the guest network with wpa2, and was forced to change the address ranges as it is hooked up to a main att&t modem/router. Also had to use dhcp and nat setting, not bridge mode. Lastly, very important, make sure the iPhone or whatever you are using is logged into the guest network for its’ wifi service. Camera seems to use whatever wifi network setup device is logged into. Once I plowed through all this, logged camera on simplest wpa password with no problems!

Living in the country a mile from any road or neighbor, my WiFi signal barely makes it out of the house.

This is silly requirement, I understand the ‘normal’ security issues many face here and would understand a strong suggestion, but not allowing the camera to work at all without completely reworking my networks is a mess.

Change this.

Paul

3 Likes

I am a college student that lives on campus. We are not allowed to use any routers with WiFi capability due to security issues. The main campus wifi is WPA2-Enterprise encrypted. We do have another unencrypted WiFi specifically for IOT things like google home or PS4. I brought a Wyze bulb but I just realized I can’t get it to connect a open WiFi, and I am super frustrated because I really like Wyze’s product. I understand we cannot connect cams to open wifi due to security concerns, but could you consider allowing things like wyze plug or smart bulb to connect to open WiFi? Thanks!

4 Likes

Can you please provide details on how you connected to Optimum? How did you get past the ‘Network/Password’ issue on the Wyze camera?
I have ShawOpen, which is the same technology as Optimum. Both use the MAC filtering to authenticate. I should be able to duplicate what you did on the ShawOpen network.
Thanks.

I believe @ginobean is saying that they connected their phone to open wifi to view their cameras at another location. The cameras at the other location would have been set up on a WPA2 wifi.

The restriction is on setting up the cameras to an open wifi network, not the connection method the phone is using to view the cameras.

1 Like

Hi Loki! I do understand we cannot connect cams to unsecured WiFi due to security concerns, but now we have more items in the Wyze family, and would you consider allowing things like wyze plug or smart bulb to connect to open WiFi? Thanks! I really love Wyze bulbs but I can’t use them on campus, since we only have an open WiFi for IOT stuffs, and the main WiFi is enterprise encrypted.

1 Like

Hi @luyiran,

I’d love to, but it’s not up to me. In fact, I’m not even a Wyze employee. I’m just a fellow user and volunteer forum moderator.

I see that you already requested this in Allow Unsecure (no password) WiFi Networks - #72 by luyiran. That’s exactly the right place to make your request know to Wyze as they review the #wishlist topics.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying. Yes, I should have read his response more carefully. I guess that I am off today to buy a GL.iNet travel router. :frowning:

2 Likes

I was going to buy 100 of these cameras to give as a gift to all the employees in my department. Luckly I bought 2 to test them out first and found that I can not connect because my home WiFi does not have a password. I have read through many of the posts and Voted. You should not be making decisions for your consumers! Give them a warning or an option to turn it off. I am really frustrated because I was really looking forward to handing these out at the end of year holiday meeting.

3 Likes

Think I would prefer a Turkey. :turkey:

Agreed. I just bought five. I hate securing my network because of cable company greed. ANYONE with a computer and a simple freely available program can sniff your packets, inject and crack your password in minutes. Now I am probably going to return my cameras. Quit telling people what they must do. Let us choose. After all we are in America where we have freedom of choice…

Hello @mtbike2 and welcome to the community

That is completely correct, that means they can make the product as they see fit, and you can decide if what they made fits your needs, everyone gets to choose, i.e. freedom of choice

2 Likes

While I agree that Wyze should just let people connect cameras to open WiFi if they really want to, and there are cases where this can be especially useful, that’s not the case for most home networks. And unless you’re still using WEP, what you stated here is completely false.

2 Likes

What? :thinking:

Sorry, yes you are correct.
Its more about capturing the 4 way handshake of WPA2 etc.

1 Like

Cable companies have a monopoly. They saw declining profits so they ran the price of cable services up. Kept doing so. Then they saw many going without cable so they increased the prices of internet. The base price I used to pay for 5 mbps was around $30 a month. Perfect for my needs. Now I have to pay $50 a month for 100mbps which really is usually tracking at 50 mbps. Don’t want nor need that BUT I cannot go with a lower tier. As a result of this, I keep my wifi open and free. Run my stuff through a VPN for security purposes.

So providing your neighbors with free Internet is a fight against corporate greed? Interesting.