Add More IFTTT Triggers and Actions

It would be super helpful if it could activate groups. Since I wanted a physical button I used one of my SmartThings buttons and wrote a WebCore Piston to active a virtual switch and then IFTTT activates three of my bulbs via individual Applets when the virtual switch is on/off. It is extremely slow at 6-10 seconds but functional. It would be nice to have them in the group so I only have to trigger one Applet.

In the absence of a hub integration, I use IFTTT to turn cameras ON/OFF based on the mode of the hub. I have also created a couple virtual switches to turn the cameras on and off via the dashboard. I was a bit surprised when I couldn’t do the same in reverse. I wanted the camera’s ON/OFF action to trigger an event to change the switch on or off if it was changed outside of the hub eg via the Wyze app. I would like to see the camera being switch on/off a trigger event in the IFTTT integration.

So if I use the “Motion is Detected” trigger to execute an action such as turn on my Wyze Bulb (or increase brightness or change color temperature), how could I turn the light off when motion is no longer detected?

I see a suggestion for a “Motion no longer detected” trigger, but maybe a Wyze Bulb action that has a timeout, such as “Turn on bulb for X minutes” or “Change color temperature for X minutes” or “Change brightness for X minutes” would be a valid suggestion?

I have actions to turn on the bulb at sunset, then dim to 50% at midnight but would like it to light up 100% if motion/person is detected - and then go back to it’s previous state.

Please check out these related #wishlist topics:

Bulb return to the previous state a set time after shortcut-triggered change

Add More Actions for Wyze Rules

IFTTT Action to Trigger Wyze Shortcut / Rule

Add More Device Triggers for Wyze Rules

Though I would love it if Wyze could have features to support this sort of thing directly, I have found a general solution to this problem through IFTTT + Apilio. Apilio (Apilio.com) is a little hard to describe, I use it as a logic as a service tool. You use Apilio to setup logic blocks, which can include delays, just like the one you just described. For example, I have one logic block that says “when I come home, turn on the light between my garage and my house” and another that says “a half hour after I come home, turn off the light.” An odd thing about Apilio is that you have to do all the sensor/device integration through IFTTT.

In theory, you could first setup Wyze triggers through IFTTT to forward motion detections to Apilio as well as IFTTT blocks to forward Apilio messages to turn off specific lights in your Wyze. Then you would use this sort of logic block to say “when the Wyze sensor triggers, turn on the light” and “a 5 minutes after the wyze sensor triggers turn off the light.” I believe you could add additional logic to keep pushing back the “5 minutes” for as long as the motion sensor was triggering.

The in theory part is that Wyze has a really weak interface WRT sending motion sensor events to IFTTT. You can forward all motion sensor events or not. You just can’t “turn them on or off” on demand. Once hooked up, there’s nothing within the Wyze app to stop sending the motion events. And when it comes to motion sensors, the Wyze sensor sends a lot of events. So if, for example, you only wanted this light motion behavior to happen during the day or when you were not home, you would have to filter out the unwanted events purely in IFTTT and Apilio. Not by clicking the “I’m home” button in the Wyze app. And establishing the switch for turning the behavior on and off and the logic for handling the switch might be complicated.

1 Like

I use Wyze cams to turn on lights. The new AI feature than can detect motion triggered by a person really cuts down on the notifications but I would love to have an ifttt app that can trigger when a person is detected. At the moment any motion detection triggers my lights to go on via ifttt so I’m still getting my lights turned on too often to be truly useful

2 Likes

Has anyone discussed adding grouped products such as wyze bulbs to the IFTTT actions.

Example : wyze sensor triggers and 4 Wyze bulbs turn on.

I have 4 bulbs that light my stair case.

Thanks for your help .

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s been discussed, but I have added the ability to apply applicable actions to grouped devices to the request list at the top of this topic.

1 Like

Checkout platform.ifttt.com. You can do it with that already.

Any way to do this currently with the existing system?

Can you show us an example? I do not see an option to use either an existing bulb group or even a way to turn on multiple bulbs per action. When you set the first action to turn on a bulb and you add another action it no longer gives the option to turn on a bulb just off.

I believe it has a trigger for all lights or a single light right now… no group triggers yet.

Schedules for sensors (my kids hate it when the bulb comes on from movement detected at night)

I agree about some of the idea behind Cap’s idea of schedules for sensors. Right now, one could build this logic using IFTTT + Apilio. You would use IFTTT to catch the motion sensor event then send that to Apilio. Additionally, you would build a sunset sensor that would tell Apilio that it was night or day or whatever time you cared about. Then, in Apilio, you would build the logic blocks to determine whether the light should turn on. (You would probably also build a block to turn the light off after it stopped getting motion events.) Then you would send the Apilio events back to IFTTT where you wold have IFTTT sensors that would, from that, and send commands back to your Wyze to turn the light on or off.

Simple, right. (LOL).

As long as Wyze is integrating its cameras with sensors and lights, it really needs to provide some sort of internal logic to take care of basic things like “turn on this light if it’s after sunset but before midnight.” That need should probably be stated outside this particular chat. But it should be addressed.

Good news the Wyze app has the feature built in it’s just hidden .

It’s in :

three dots upper right corner > edit shortcuts> scroll to bottom “+ create shortcut”> grouped devices > select action

Then: you have to click the switch > click automation AND THERE IT IS !!! “Time of day “ and “ event “ options

Lol sry for the exclamation but man that feature was hidden . :scream:

Yup, I did all that Apilio stuff. The problem is that as the messages bounce between my sensor, light, IFTTT and Apilio my light is still on. Basically that means the light is on for about 2 seconds before the message catches up and turns off the light. Certainly not doable.

Unfortunately that won’t work for sensors. That feature has been there for a bit now. I want to turn off sensors at a certain time. Wyze only allows me to turn off notifications. Not helpful if what I want is for it to not work at night only.

The trigger I would need and would use for a number of items is a trigger that would allow me to say any contact sensor was open for x time. This would allow me to do things like turn my Nest to OFF mode if a window or door was left open for a few minutes. Or start or stop my cameras from recording. etc.

Yes. Cap’s comment about not being able to turn off notifications for sensors is also true. You can see a long exchange about it earlier in this discussion thread. I think a lot of Wyze users are familiar with how the camera notifications work and assume that it’s the same story for sensors. Not so. The sensor integration is completely inferior to the cameras in that regard. You might be able to group sensors, but you can’t suppress notifications and and you can’t access the groups on IFTTT. Regardless of groups, you can’t say “if any of the motion sensors that I use for security detects motion, then…” You can only say “if this motion sensor…” or “if any motion sensor…”

1 Like

I would love to get the moving the camera to a specific way-point action added. Hey Wyze team, any update on this whole list? Anything in the works?

1 Like