Direct access to SD card with download ability

Sounds like you’re on Android. I’m on iPhone, so I have no idea.

This would be a great workaround for those of us with dual-band wireless routers that you can’t separate (e.g. Google WiFi), as the app currently requires your smart device to be on 5Ghz in order to copy time-lapse videos.

1 Like

can you elaborate a bit on this?
yesterday, just for kicks, I was able to download the timelapse remotely after I turned on VPN on my phone to be in my home network.
so 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz shouldn’t matter, so long as you’re in the same network.

Sure, on my mesh WiFi setup you can’t specify separate SSIDs for 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz, so it’s up to your device as to which one it will connect to. Because Wyze cams only support 2.4Ghz, and they coded some sort of check into the app, the app on my 5Ghz-connected devices tells me I need to be on the same wireless network (even though I’m on the same network/subnet). Anyways, I opened a case on the same and was told they’re aware of the issue and might fix it one day.

1 Like

TinyCam can save to an FTP server and many routers come with an FTP server that you can turn on. I’ve tried this without any luck, but it could be that I just haven’t figured out the right settings for my router.

1 Like

Can we get the option to download videos to our computer/smartphone? This would allow for keeping video documents.

3 Likes

Alert clips can be easily shared. But mSD card video can only be captured by recording it while playing it back in real time, or physically removing the card from the camera. The latter can be quite inconvenient due to the need for a ladder, for example. :wink:

I interpret this request to mean having the ability to designate a start and end time and have that video download from the SD card to the phone in the background, without having to slog through it in real time or remove the card.

@michaelg3955… did I get that right?

11 Likes

Yes you have it correct. The ability to easily download the video to save to a device.

1 Like

I have about an hour of recorded video (on the SD card) that I want to share (get off Wyze onto my desktop for archival purposes). By ‘share’ I mean write to Google Drive or under an emulator ‘Send to Windows’. When I tried recording the whole hour into the album the recording failed. When I tried breaking it up into smaller pieces (18 minutes+40 minutes) the videos were successfully sent to the album but when I tried to get it off by sharing the Wyze App just seems to hang. It hangs both on my smart phone and under the emulator. A small 15 second video recording works fine.

Anyone have an experience with any of this? Are there practical limits? Is this a bug? What’s really frustrating is that there is no application feedback about what is happening. Thanks.

Edit: Moved by the mods from my post (Video Recording/Sharing Limits?, now locked) in an attempt to consolidate but I think this should stand on it’s own as it deals with what looks like software issues with the capability.

2 Likes

Best thing to do is just remove the microSD card, and stick it in the desktop machine or get a card reader, and handle it that way.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call this approach the “best thing” in any sense of the word. Besides the camera is at a remote location which is why I have these installed. Needless to say Wyzecam is making it very hard to retrieve your video off the SD card (I had another issue with time lapse requiring you to be on the same LAN). Thanks for your response anyway.

The whole process of recording your video at normal speed into an album and then initiating the transfer is very cumbersome and time consuming even if it worked!

6 Likes

I agree, would be much better if we had other options, but we don’t, so, it is the best thing you can do, if you have physical access to the cam.

I rather have a way to FTP or SSH info the cam and download that way, but, can’t do that.

Doing the “sharing” thing isn’t reliable at all, and can fail for multiple reasons.

3 Likes

Been waiting on the same feature. I have 4 hours of video that I need saved. Recording on playback usually crashes after a half hour. I removed the SD card and copied the files, but it’s broken up into 60 second clips which makes it kinda useless. We need the option of setting a start/end time and downloading one video.

Believe it or not, this is so important for me, that I have an Android phone with only the Wyze app installed just so my phone isn’t occupied every time I need to save a video. Because Wyze stops recording if I exit the app. This is really inconvenient.

5 Likes

I tried removing a 16gb sd card.l
I then put it in my laptop and Windows did not recognize it?

So, I put it back, in my wyz e cam and it still works?

My dumb Q? is, can Fat32 be easily read by Windows?

It should be recognized by Windows. I’ve copied several videos off my card onto my computer. Perhaps try a different card reader?

1 Like

Sharing a long video via the app is probably not worth it because I imagine the amount of time and battery needed. If I am correct in thinking it would need to download the clip to the phone and then share it to the service / device of your choice. For longer ones I would expect switching SD cards to be the simplest way, even if not the most convenient to access.

2 Likes

+1

It would be nice to be to able to download the videos off of the SD card either via FTP, a web interface in the camera, etc.

I’d even accept come config in the app allowing you to add FTP credentials to the camera so it would “push” the videos off the SD card to your FTP destination (or ideally a cloud storage integration).

Having to unmount the camera and remove the SD card to get it into a card reader and then reinstall and remount can be a pain.

2 Likes

Yes that is a pain but you should be able to share the video via the app on the phone. This isn’t ideal for long stretches but for short videos or pictures it would work. You go to the playback, select “record” and that can be saved to the phone and then sent to your computer or depending on how you set up the phone backups could be auto saved to your cloud. Like I said NOT IDEAL, but I know they have had a number of recommendations for changing that method to make it easier. A mod will probably be along shortly to add your post to the existing posts on the topic.

After you copy the files over, you need to concat them. I use ffmpeg for that job, and it does the job, and is free.

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Concatenate

You can use VLC to play them as well.

3 Likes

I’m going to add remote file retrieval to my wish list. Yes, I voted. I would think most of these cameras are placed in remote hard to reach locations making SD removal rather inconvenient. Then, you have to replace the camera pointing to the same field of view and quite possibly having to reset your detection zone. Grabbing a block of video by giving a start time and end time, including date, would be very helpful without having to sit through playback or using a ladder.

Also, is there any difference in quality between pulling a file off the SD card after removing the card from the camera (method A) and using the record during playback (method B)?

4 Likes