9 volt USB

I bought some outdoor outlets that have two USB Type A sockets.

One is rated 5 volts @ 1.2 amps

The other is rated 9 volts @ 2 amps. It is my understanding this higher voltage USB port is for devices designed for Quick Charge.

Will I blow up a camera by connecting it to the Quick Charge port?

1 Like

If it were me, I would be asking @Newshound for his thoughts on this, so I will tag him and ask him now.

I suspect that it is possible that it could damage the camera. I know most of the cams are fine with up to 2A because the Wyze outdoor adapter puts out 2A and even the 1A cams are fine on that. But I am not sure the level of risk by using 9V, particularly 9V-2A QC3.0.

4 Likes

It SHOULD operate as a “normal” 5V USB source unless the attached device communicates with the outlet to tell it that it can handle Quick Charge.
As far as current, the current limitation of the source only needs to be as much as the camera is going to draw. Having a power source that can supply far more than needed current is not an issue at all. For my Christmas lighting show, I have a camera on top of my pixel tree that is powered from a 5V 70 amp power supply (fused obviously). Primarily that power supply is for powering the lights on the tree, but it’s a handy 5V source for the V2 camera.

5 Likes

Oh yes, K6CCC is another great resource on this kind of stuff. :slight_smile: Thanks for jumping in!

4 Likes

QC 3.0 is smart, and can normally supply voltages anywhere from 3.7 and 20v. So you should be fine, it should default to 5v in a lack of negotiation.

However, I would use the fixed 5v output if powering only 1 device. Less dependent on ‘smarts’, lol.

5 Likes

Thanks for the replies. Strange they would put a QC port on an outside outlet.

Waiting for spring to install. They are inside this weatherproof box

1 Like