Alert on ABSENCE of motion or sound

I operate some machines that run unattended 24/7 and sometimes break and stop doing their thing. When that happens I dont know till the next morning when I am there in person. If I had a Wyze cam watching the machine running, I could of course log into the app and check every few hours to make sure it is still running well, but it would be nice to get a push notification if there was nothing moving in the frame which would mean the machine broke down, a belt broke, and the wheels stopped turning, etc.

So in essence, reverse motion detection, or the detection of no motion. I am not sure how this would be achieved or coded, but the Wyze team is a crafty bunch, and I hope there is a way to do what I need. The machines make noise, so if there was a push notification when it is quiet instead of the normally loud, that would work as well.

As another example in case I am not being clear above, imagine having a small wind turbine in your back yard to make electricity. I would want to know if the turning blades stop turning or something breaks on the turbine, and watching a live camera feed 24/7 takes a lot of effort, getting a notification when the blade stops turning would be very handy.

I realize this is a wacky request, bare with me!
Squelchtone

1 Like

I think what you’re looking for is very clear. Not sure how widespread its usefulness might be, but we’ll see how many votes it gets.

In the mean time, if you set up motion detection with push notifications, you should get a notification about every five minutes. If the notifications stop, then motion stopped. (Although this is not the affirmative notification you’re looking for.)

You might also be able to come up with some clever way to use IFTTT to accomplish this. Using the Wyze motion detected IFTTT trigger, make the THEN action set some kind of timer for 7 or 8 minutes. When the next motion detection occurs (in five minutes), it sets the timer again, restarting it. So as long as detections continue to occur, the timer never goes off. If a motion detection is missed, the timer would complete and notify you.

3 Likes

If the power usage declines significantly when the machines stop working then you might be able to use a smart energy monitoring plug. I use such a plug to monitor video game console usage and to receive notifications when it is turned on or off. I do this through Smartthings. However, the Wemo Insight plug might be able to send such notifications without needing a hub.

1 Like

Any way to alert on the absence of sound, or sound dropping below a certain volume? I’m using Wyze Cam to monitor my 3D printer, mainly so I can check if anything goes wrong. But it would also be cool to get an alert when the print job is done and the printer goes quiet. I’m open to using IFTTT to accomplish this.

Might be handy for a kid-cam too… show what’s happening when the kids get TOO quiet…

2 Likes

With the Wyze Sense motion sensor, you’ll be able to receive alerts for a lack of motion. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Loss of Communication/Network Connection Notification

Please hop on over there and VOTE for it. For your vote to count, you must click the VOTE button at the top of the page.

How can I receive alerts for lack of motion with motion sensor? Would like to be notified in mother hasn’t moved within her house in 8hrs.

You can do this using Rules! Though it’s a little bit of a kludge. For this, use a Device Trigger rule and set it to trigger an Event video when your motion sensor has been clear for 8 hours. That will let you know to check in on things. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I do something similar. When my motion sensor has been clear for 15 or 30 seconds, depending on the device, I receive a notification. It is done using the rules function and the Wyze Sense.
Here is a sample one I use…Screenshot_20191218-111026_Wyze

This is exactly what I want to do through IFTTT to tell my Wyze motion sensor to turn off my Wemo bathroom light switch if motion has been cleared for 1 hour. Seems right now this can only be done easily with Wyze products but I hope I am wrong. Can anyone help?

I looked at IFTTT and figured out a way that it could be done but it is not as straight forward as one would hope. The thing is that using the Wyze service motion sensors on IFTTT has two options, becomes clear or detects motion. Since you want to trigger it after 1 hour, it would require another piece of hardware.

In the Wyze app, you can set an event to happen after the motion detector “Has been clear for” an hour. Have that motion turn a Wyze plug on or off.

Build your applet on IFTTT with the Wyze “Plug Turns On” or "Plug Turns Off "as the If This trigger.
Then have the Then That action be Wemo Light Switch to On.

I hope this helps! I can’t test it since I don’t have a Wemo unit but I played with it and it works for my other brands.

I do have a pair of Wyze plugs from Christmas but have not found a use for them but maybe this will be it. I only want the bathroom light to be automatically turned off after an hour of no motion. Turning it on is not an issue, absent minded family members love to leave it on all day if they had their way. I would happily buy a Wyze wall/light switch if Wyze sold them but they are either still developing it or testing.

1 Like

That is great that you already have the plug because I hesitate to tell anyone that they can do something but they have to buy more hardware.
You can just have it turn on as the trigger but you don’t have to actually use it to power any device. That is what I would do for sure, just use the Wyze plug to trigger the IFTTT applet after one hour has been clear motion detector > Turn Wemo switch off.
It is just one more piece in the flow.
You could have the plug switch back off afterwards as well so that it would work for subsequent events as well. I have built flashing lights triggers in a similar way by chaining turn off/turn on inside Wyze rules and IFTTT but this could be simpler.
You could have it toggle right back off after it is turned on, it would basically function like an electrical relay like a Shelly relay.
Build a trigger in Wyze for Trigger When Plug > Turn on
Action
Turns Off
The only issue that I can see maybe happening is sometimes IFTTT takes a bit to trigger so it might not catch it every time if the plug is turned right back off.
You might need to set the plug to turn off after 10 minutes or something to catch all the events.

Awesome. Is there anyway you can provide some screens shots. I will give it a try but I am sure will need to do some more digging to extend on my knowledge of how to use IFTTT with Wyze.

Ok I managed to get it all setup, loaded, and running between Wyze (and Wyze Plug), IFTTT, and Wemo. Don’t go making screen shots. :grinning: Only problem now is that IFTTT or Wemo seems to have trouble with powering off the Wemo Light Switch. I checked the IFTTT applet activity log and there are no errors. For whatever reason it just will not power off the Wemo Light Switch. Very frustrating, thought I finally came to a work around solution. Might have to go back to waiting for a Wyze Light Switch after all. Kudos to #kal.el.72 for coming up with the idea.

Well dang. I really thought it would work.
Have you tried testing the applet from IFTTT on your mobile or Explore - IFTTT using “check now?”
One way that I know it will work is using a Shelly 1 but with a dumb switch. It is more involved though and requires creating a auth_key / webhook from Shelly.

I just tested it using a Smart Life switch with Wyze and IFTTT. It seems that the breakdown is probably with the Wemo part.

I bet we can figure this out!

Yes, I tested it with the “Check Now” button in the IFTTT app multiple times and it still did not turn off the Wemo Light Switch. I agree, I suspect it is an issue with Wemo but it is difficult to diagnose what it is wanting in order to work properly.

1 Like