Option to set Wyze base station SSID to hidden network

Just got one of the new Wyze Cam outdoors and noticed the wifi access point that the base station connects to the cameras with is not a hidden network. Not a huge deal but I thought it would be nice to be able to have an option in the app to set this as a hidden network.

Thanks!

The Outdoor Cam BASE is broadcasting a WiFi SSID even after sync to Outdoor Cam is complete. This SSID should be hidden from broadcast to improve this security risk.
If we were give access to an admin page of the BASE this could be a toggle switch along with option to change WiFi channel being used and maybe more.

7 Likes

Great minds think alike @Daless14 We both posted the same wishlist item so Wyze merged ours together :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Yes please make this the standard .

2 Likes

This is a item that needs to be addressed. The SSID should be hidden easily or even by default. It broadcasts a message for anyone to see that someone has installed cameras near by.

4 Likes

Thinking more about this even for the fact that a hidden WiFi SSID can very easily be found, just the mere fact of it being named WYZExyz123 really draws attention to the fact that Wyze cameras are being used. This is a part of the risk also. We should be able to change the SSID, channel for broadcast and if it is hidden or not.

4 Likes

Totally agree with the hidden ssid, even though it’s not really that secure but for the most part it’s not on someone’s network list that they can easily attempt to connect to…

2 Likes

This is a terrible engineering and UI debacle. How can you ask customers to compromise their own networks because you couldn’t get your act together to create a basic web interface?

No network is 100% secure as many have pointed out, but Wyze please do not get in the way of us reducing known vulnerabilities.

I was actually all pleased with the unboxing and install tonight, but now I don’t think I can deploy it. But… the camera is excellent… the app is so cool…

No! Even with the great design, packaging, and ease of use–it’s a little too easy at the expense of basic network controls.

2 Likes

The whole point in getting a hidden camera is to be hidden. However, when all your neighbors and everyone in the neighborhood can see WYZE on the list of internet connection on their computers or devices, this gives it all away to anybody who knows what WYZE Is. Should have the option to rename device for wifi naming purpose

5 Likes

Agreed, I hate the SSID pollution, I use the base station and outdoor cam, but dread seeing it broadcasting.

3 Likes

The option to hide the SSID would be very nice! I hope to see it in a future update Wyze.

2 Likes

The Wyze Outdoor Base should not expose its SSID when scanning for WiFi access points. It should be hidden and not viewable to protect privacy and security.

2 Likes

Yes, please add the option to change the SSID name of the Wyze Cam Outdoor base station. I live in an apartment and now with a simple Google search all my neighbors know can easily identify this network as is begins with WYZE _ followed by several numbers and letters in caps. I would think that this could also expose my home wifi network to attack.

Thanks

4 Likes

I’ve noticed this too. SERIOUS ISSUE! Wasn’t sure if the SSID that I (and all my neighbors apparently) have been seeing (WYZE_…) was even my WCO basestation until now, but suspected it was. @UserCustomerGwen Goodness, has this been discussed by the team? At the very least, it shouldn’t be broadcasting it’s name. Best solution would be to allow users to hide/unhide and to rename, with Hidden as the default.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing your suggestions and concern! I’ll share this with the team. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have a different take… Let me turn off the network all together. I don’t need another SSID out there polluting the already crowded RF space.
Why is it broadcasting an open station anyway? Does anyone know?

That’s what I meant above when I said, “Best solution would be to allow users to hide/unhide and to rename, with Hidden as the default.” In other words, give us the option to stop broadcasting the base station’s SSID, with a default of no broadcasting. I really would like to turn this OFF!

1 Like

Please. It shouldn’t be broadcasting once the base is set up.

2 Likes

Echoing same sentiment, for security purposes looking to hide base stations’ SSID.

1 Like

HUGE security issue that could easily been avoided.
Only after one of my neighbors told me they could see my wyze in available networks, did I find this forum.
I immediately disconnected it and returned the outdoor cam.
I have two other wyze cams in my home that I am giving away.
I am also canceling my order on the V3.
I don’t like surprises when it comes to security. I am not waiting for them to do a firmware update to fix this issue. I will never purchase another Wyze product

2 Likes